Brisk, Bright and Brief

on Thursday 15 July 2010
It takes a happy teacher to be a good teacher. Doesn't mean that the teacher has to be a funny teacher or someone who can make the class burst out laughing just by snapping his/her fingers; just cheerful would do.

Going into the class with a smile of on your face or going in with an upbeat feeling is important. It doesn't make you vulnerable or make you feel like you're compromising in terms of discipline (I'm sure a lot of you will detest to that idea but this is based on my short experience). In fact, control can be done when one is able to attract the audience to be interested in what you are doing or showing.

Sometimes, to be frank, I do lose that control. I lose the attention-grabbing factor that has to happen if you want the class to be on their toes. In fact, it is the best way to control the students that are rowdy and overly active. They want to do something interesting or discuss about something that is of appeal to them. If you rant on and on about something that they feel is a little bit irrelevant to them, I'm sure you'll get restless kids doing everything but your work.

It ain't easy to come up with something interesting all the time. As a teacher, it is quite difficult to come up with something quick and easy. I talked to a very experience teacher/headmaster before and he told me that his lessons are brisk, bright, and brief. I think this is a really important strategy when dealing with kids. No matter what age they are, you have to be able to create these environments.

I might not have my very own teaching philosophy yet. I'm sure I will come up with my very own one soon. Until then, maybe I too can be...


BRISK, BRIGHT AND BRIEF

0 comments:

Post a Comment