Visiting Morgues

on Friday 13 August 2010
It's normal that teachers approach different classes differently. It's not that you're using a different method in teaching your content. You're approaching the students humanistic-ly in different manners.

Put it in uglier terms, you like classes, and you like certain classes less.

Is that OK?

I find myself being very biased lately to certain classes. In these classes, I become very pretentious and fake when teaching. I think it's not that obvious to the students because partly I'm kinda good at covering up my emotions - I think a Screen Actors Guild Award would do just fine.

It's not really important whether or not I can or cannot portray that interest in teaching the students. I think it doesn't affect the students that greatly because I still manage to make a boring class into something less burdensome. I don't know why but I think it's just in my innate nature to make sure that my class stays vibrant even if we're not doing much... sometimes, just reading and writing exercises can become light if I manage to bring a light mood into the classroom.

I'm more concerned about self-fulfillment. It's not so fulfilling when you're not genuinely interested in the students participation. It's not fulfilling when you are jumping up and down, being spirited, hyped up; come out an hour later feeling as if you just visited a morgue. Not just any morgue, a morgue where the corpses have been there for ages because no one comes to claim them.

This ain't an oven

I don't like morgues. I don't know who does. That's a good imagery actually... *pats self on the back


I honestly don't like the fact that I'm feeling that way. I want to be able to go into each and every class and come out from it feeling like the kids really felt some importance in remembering that day's lesson.

I try bringing about themes for the month, I try to discuss about things that they are interested in, I even let them go about debating and arguing. I believe that these activities are not just important to break the affective factors that might be put up so evidently by some students. Does it work? Nah-ah~

... well, maybe it does to some students.

Keeping yourself motivated. That's a teacher's challenge.

My challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment