The Land We Spill Our Blood On

on Monday 30 August 2010
The Colours of Freedom

We're celebrating independence day.

Remember to hold it up high

Yep. It's time for us to hold up our flags high, hoist it to the highest point and let the wind glorify our nations glorious stripes with the breezy gushes. Ah, seeing our jalur gemilang really does bring about a sense of belonging - it does.

Lately though, there have been more chastising commentaries trying to undermine that patriotism. How stone-age-esque are these people to even think that by chanting such vulgar words, the ingrained love for our land can wither just like that. It's by far the worst insult ever; not the fact that our possession towards our homeland is being questioned, but the fact that they think by saying that, we will feel threatened.

Almost every single day since I was a 7 year old kid in Ho Seng Ong (M) till now (being a teacher is the reason why) I've been proudly singing our national anthem with my best bass voice. It's not really about me trying to out-sing others with my melodious and commanding voice, it's the feeling of love towards the land we spill our blood on that keeps the spirits high. Here is something that we would always have as our own, our home and the feeling of being home is warm and comforting.

In other words, if you do not feel you love your country, then I'm truly sorry for you. If you feel that you don't belong to this country, then I'm truly sorry for you. If you feel that some other person can make you feel unattached to your country, I'm even more sorry for you. Never ever let another person make you feel like you're less of a person when you've been living and contributing to this glorious country we call Malaysia.

No one can make me feel like I'm not Malaysian; or not Malaysian enough.


I love my country. It is mine as much as it is everyone's who was born a Malaysian. Be proud of it.

Happy Independence Day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment